Although I would completely agree with what Jason Uttley says on Earth Clinic about fluoride causing Fibromyalgia (see EC Fibro Causes and Cures), I would also have to say that this can only be one of the things which would could cause this difficult-to-cure illness. My reasoning goes like this. The introduction of fluorine into our diets via water, food and drugs etc only started to happen big-time in the 1950s and certainly helped to accelerate and increase the spread of this disease or problem. But Fibromyalgia or Fibrocytis -- or Muscular Rheumatism as it was known in the old days -- was also known to exist well before fluorine was ever introduced into drinking water, vaccines, food and drugs in the 1950s. Although Fibromyagia was not defined as a disease with a name until 1976 -- in fact fibromyalgia-like symptoms have been known since biblical times. Therefore, there must be more than one causative factor for Fibromyalgia -- not just fluoride -- as well as other cofactors that help to aggravate it.
Also, the fact that there are many medical problems with very similar symptoms -- ME, Chronic Fatigue, Gulf War Syndrome, Heavy Metal poisoning etc. -- would certainly also indicate multiple or varying co-factors involved, such as perhaps a combination of chronic lack of certain minerals, vitamins and amino acid nutrients as well as ingesting dangerous poisons and pollutants at the same time within our diet, drugs etc. which must also contribute and give rise to these different but eerily similar conditions. And as far as I can determine, the following seem to relate directly as causative and aggravating factors for Fibromyalgia:
* Fluorine in the drinking water, vaccines, toothpaste, drugs, agriculture and food supply.
* Excess calcium in the western diets. This promotes intracellular acidity and mitochondrial calcification -- causes muscular pain. Everything in our foodchain nowadays, it seems, is fortified with Calcium isn’t it?
* Similarly, low amounts of Magnesium in the western diet also facilitates excess calcium and acidity in the body with attending muscular mitochondrial pain at the cellular level as well as associated energy problems. Magnesium regulates calcium/potassium in the human body within our cells, so a shortage of magnesium or even potassium will also naturally exacerbate an excess of Calcium in the cells of the body. Besides that, magnesium is also known to be involved in over 300 other important enzyme processes in your body and is every bit as important as calcium in our diet. Checkout Magnesium Chloride's many historic medical uses here. This may surprise you.
* Excess blood acidity as well as intracellular acidity in the body greatly weakens the immune system and leaves the back door wide open to pathogens entering the body. Anaerobic pathogens just thrive on and love acidity. Therefore bacterial mycoplasmas -- fungus like pathogens -- or other anaerobic pathogens could also encourage and aggravate Fibromyalgia symptoms.
* Lack of iodine in our diets. Iodine helps to remove Fluoride as well as bromide from our bodies.
* There is some conclusive evidence that heavy metals like mercury from vaccines and tooth fillings also might contribute to the effects of fibromyalgia. Heavy metal poisoning gives symptoms that are very similar to Fibromyalgia.
* Poor western diets in general. This is really a culmination of all the above.
So what I am saying is that I agree that there is indeed a good chance that Fluoride is a major cause of Fibromyalgia, but I do not think that it is the only cause or aggravator.
Therefore, the best strategy for Fibromyalgia would be a combined remedy, consisting of:
* Take large dose Lugol's Iodine(at least 12. 5 mgs/day at a minimum) or Iodoral tablets to remove the fluoride from the body. And as well as all its other many benefits, iodine also removes lead, cadmium, mercury and aluminium from the body. In its over 150 years of use by the medical profession, Lugol's Iodine has been used internally and successfully for the following ailments:
* Take 1/8 teaspoon of borax (20 Mule Team borax is OK to use here) in a liter of water a day for 3 days a week or take boron supplements on a daily basis. This will also help remove fluoride, kill various pathogens in your body and also helps to re-balance your hormones.
* Initially, take 800 - 1200 mgs of Magnesium Chloride or Mag Citrate or Mag Gluconate in split doses for about 3 days(or for longer if you can) and then reduce intake to about 500 mgs per day. This helps to restore your calcium balance, removes intracellular calcum as well as acidity and helps to eliminate both mitochondrial calcification and muscular pain. You can also use Epsom Salts (Mag Sulphate) in hot baths or use Magnesium Oil (30% water, 70% magnesium chloride crystals) rubbed onto all the painful muscular areas of the body which is directly absorbed into the blood transdermally.
* Due to the high occurrence of oxidative stress caused by Fibromyalgia on the body, research has indicated that taking anti-oxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium and Acetylcysteine (a glutathione generator) would greatly benefit the Fibro sufferer and help minimize the oxidative stress in their bodies. This also helps to take a load off and protect the immune system function.
* Alkalize the blood with 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) in a half glass of water twice a day. Ordinary Arm and Hammer Baking Soda(Sodium Bicarbonate) is fine to use here. See this link for alkalizing.
* There is also research evidence that taking Apple Cider Vinegar(contains Malic Acid) and magnesium has a very positive effect against Fibro. See this link: - ACV and Magnesium Fibro Cure
* Take 6 - 10 drops of 1% Hydrogen Peroxide (food grade) in a glass of water twice per day. This helps to kill the mycoplasmas that could be causing or aggravating the Fibro.
* Eat cilantro or coriander leaf in salads 3 times a week and drink green tea regularly as well. This should help to remove most heavy metals quickly from your body – usually within about a month.
* Use 0. 1% Methylene Blue. Dosage is 4 - 6 drops in a glass of water with dissolved ascorbic acid(1000 mgs) as Ascorbate twice a day. This is a mitochondrial super-antioxidant that helps to revive the cell mitochondria to give you more energy – but do not use this remedy after 3 pm or you won’t sleep that night!! (I found this out the hard way...) You can buy Methylene Blue at any aquatics store usually sold as 10% Methylene Blue. Just dilute this down to 0.1% for your own use. Methylene Blue was discovered in 1896 by Dr Paul Erhlig and he found that MB was very effective against Malaria. It was used by the spoonful in Vietnam by the US forces as an anti-malarial. But it must be used and taken with large dose Vit C in order to stop the whites of your eyes turning blue, and turning your urine green. No other side-effects. Also MB is sometimes used by some imaginative teenagers at Halloween time to make their eyes look more “horrific”.
For more remedies and explanations see Ted's Fibro Remedies this link:
With reference to all the above remedies – I have been using all these various remedies given here fairly regularly for other problems for about 4 years now without any ill effects and I still use them when I have to. I have used many of the above remedies intensively and very successfully on a daily basis against my persistent systemic Candida and other associated problems (all problems gone now including Candida). I took no medical drugs. I found all these remedies to be very effective with few, if any, side-effects.
The best diet to follow for Fibromyalgia, in my opinion, is the anti-Candida diet – essentially an elimination diet -- which is given here:
1. Absolutely NO SUGAR. No ifs or buts here -- if you really want to get rid of fibro -- it starts here, this is a must!! Sugar creates acidity in excess and also feeds anaerobic bacteria, fungus and viruses causing problems in your body. Anaerobic pathogens, including cancer, use approximately 14 - 17 times more glucose per cell than normal aerobic body cells.
2. No junk food allowed.
3. No vegetable oil in the diet. Vegetable oil oxidizes fairly quickly on the shelf and very rapidly at high heat. Most vegetable oils are also now made from an unnatural chemical process. Better to use virgin coconut oil for cooking -- this is a very stable oil that is very good for you. I’ve found VCO to be extremely benenficil to the body and quite remarkable in creating and aiding intestine health as well as energy. I only cook with VCO now and VCO has actually helped me to lose weight. Just two tablespoons a day of VCO will be enough to show beneficial results.
4. No soda pop. Apart from the sugar, soda drinks also contain carbonic and phosphoric acids -- all of which acidifies your body and encourages a weak immune system.
5. No Sweeteners allowed -- no aspartame, sucralose or saccharine. This is especially important against Fibro – these sweeteners are essentially excitotoxins that affect your nerves and mood.
6. Eat only white meat like chicken or fish in small amounts and avoid all red meats.
7. No baking products like bread, cakes pastries etc. In the 60s or 70s the FDA, in their wisdom, allowed the use of bromide and bromates in bread-making and baking instead of iodine. Bromine weakens the immune system and also encourages Candida growth. Strangely but happily, I recently learnt that bromides and bromates used in baking have always been banned in the Philippines where I now live. Well go figure...
8. Include using a handful of chopped coriander leaf in a salad three times a week as well as drinking green tea several times a day. Doing this for a month will remove most heavy metals successfully from your body.
9. No canned products in the diet. Bisphenol A -- or BPA -- is contained in all plastic linings of canned products and is very bad for you. Upsets hormone balance and greatly weakens the immune system.
10. No Calcium which means no dairy products -- no milk, cheese, yoghurt etc. Avoid calcium fortified foods. Excess calcium encourages acidity, aids mitochondrial calcification and thereby aids the spread of Fibromyalgia throughout the body.
11. No Monosodium Glutamate(MSG) allowed. This means that all soy products made from a chemical process -- including soy sauce, tofu etc. Are not allowed. Avoid all products with added MSG. But any soy products made from the natural fermentation process are OK and allowed in small amounts.
12. Avoid distilled water and tap-water. Distilled water is "dead water" -- it completely lacks any important body minerals that natural spring-water contains. Tap-water nowadays -- due to water shortages -- is now re-cycled and chemically processed from sewage (especially in cities), so Lord only knows what evil goodies tap-water contains. Enough said I think. Drink fresh mineral or spring water or create your own mineral water instead.
12. Try and avoid all [chemically] processed food if you can. Try and eat foods that are made from natural processes without excess heating or use of chemicals/pesticides.
14. When you eat food, don't always rush and over-stuff yourself, as this leads to poor, inefficient digestion and acid intestines. There is always a lag from when you feel hungry to when you are satisfied but if you eat too fast, this is not good for you. Eat your food slower and drink plenty of water at mealtimes for proper digestion. The Chinese -- and Okinawans -- normally eat until they feel 70-80% full, then they stop. This is also good simple dietary practice.